Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Darien Statements About Libraries and Librarianship

As many of you probably already know, the Darien Statements have been creating quite a stir in the library/librarian blogosphere over the past month or so.  The Darien Statements are a document produced as a result of an event at Darien Library (CT) that focused on the future of libraries and librarians.  I am curious to get folks' opinion on these statements.  This is of course not required but I think there is an interesting discussion here.  Take a look at the Darien Statements and, if so inclined, leave a comment or two.

Thanks,
mvc

3 comments:

Central Communications Blog said...

I agree with many of the statements presented. However, given the current economic times I do not think it is realistic financially to implement many of them. In particular, public libraries are currently challenged by huge budget cuts that will sevrely limit acquisition of fully staffed and fully supplied libraries. Much of the current online communication networks are cost efficient (if not free), but maintaining a collection both electronically and in paper forms is very expensive.

-AT

Karen said...

I like that it's a big (BIG) picture statement, which is refreshing and sorely needed. It doesn't say how things should be done but, rather, why we would do them. Sometimes we get so caught up in the minutia of our daily activites that we loose sight of their purpose.

The comments are interesting too. I tend to agree with those who see this statement/manifesto as a description of the ideal (aka Platonic) Library, to which we aspire and from which we adapt to suit our specific needs.

Karen said...

Mike, Did you see the post (and comments) on Annoyed Librarian about this?

It's a bracing blast of cold air: http://www.libraryjournal.com/blog/580000658/post/1790042979.html.