Friday, May 15, 2009

Posting and Comments on Social Networking Sites

Greetings,

I have been hesitant to address this because social networking sites should be independent of work.  However, when negative comments are made on these sites and multiple staff come to me upset about what has been posted related to work, it becomes a work/morale issue.    While I encourage use of these sites and recognize that to some extent they are the equivalent of personal conversation, I think it behooves us as professionals to consider carefully what we post and who will read it.  Where this is different than a personal conversation is that these comments are broadcast to your colleagues at work--if you opt to be friends with them.   Comments about schedules, meetings, customers, etc. have truly upset some of your hard-working colleagues. While I cannot tell you not to make such comments on your personal time and computers, I would like to appeal to your professionalism and respect for your colleagues and our customers to avoid such actions. However, if these comments are being made on staff time or using library equipment, this does become a work-related issue that has to be addressed.

In closing, I ask that we all be aware of how what we say, do, or post online impacts those around us.  

Thanks,

Mike VC

No comments: