Monday, February 18, 2008

Programming Plannig Information

Please read the following from Jennifer and submit ideas for programs.


mvc


Now that we are all back together, I would like to get everyone’s input on planning for adult programming. I’ll need to have all summer programming submitted by April 4th, so we have just a couple of months to work on it. I will need to have all of your ideas submitted by the second week in March (but the sooner the better. Now is good), as all approved programs will need to be thought out and entered into the calendar system before the deadline. One of the new Programs we are really excited about is the “Brown Bag Lunch Series,” which consists of a variety of programs that take place over the 12-1, and then the 1-2, lunch hours. We will be doing book clubs, DIY, Cooking, and anything else that we think might be of interest. We’re going to be very ambitious with this series, hosting programs every day, possibly at both lunch hours. This is an opportunity for you to host the program you have always wanted to host. Particularly interested in a certain genre? Host your own book club!

Other programs series that will be featured include a new senior series with an emphasis on technology, a combination book/movie club, a GLBT series, Web 2.0/Social networking, and a Young Professionals series. Most of the film programs will be held in the evenings, and we will host some of the DIY programs on Saturdays.

I think that we can figure out a way to turn your dream program into a reality, so please see me or any member of the Central Programming Committee (Darcy, Saima, Sarah B., or Marcia) to share your ideas. Sarah has created a book club sign-up sheet, and we will have that out to you shortly.

Also, I try to post all programming and Outreach information on my programming blog at http://hplcenprogout.blogspot.com/. Please put this address into your readers! Please note, in order to keep posting information on that blog, I need to receive comments and feedback so that I know I have readers. J

Thanks!

Jennifer Schwartz

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a few ideas, but they are waaay outside of the box. Do I have to post them here or can I send them to you via email?

Central Grand Opening Events Committee said...

You can email them to me. :0)

Anonymous said...

I love that we are going to offer these programs, but I worry about logistics. Do we have a craft supply account? How do we advertise? The calendar is so infrequently published that I think we need outside advertisement. I've heard adult wii night or day programs being bantered about. Do we have a separate area for adults to play wii?

Central Grand Opening Events Committee said...

Supplies for programs, including craft related programs, will come out of the programming budget. I agree that we need outside advertisement. We plan to try to get on to the newsletters of the buildings around downtown. I am hoping that we can produce supplemental brochures that we can distribute. Word of mouth too.

Anonymous said...

I would love to help offer classes on using the library for consumer medical info. Partnering with nearby hospitals and their libraries.

I would also like to work on programs geared for Seniors in high school. What's next type of thing.

Unknown said...

All current Wii's are for children or teens and their parents only. If the adult side wants to manage Wii's on the floor all the time they would have to figure that out. I think managing those on the adult floor would be difficult. Using the Wii's available for programming is a much better idea.